Tales From The Drop Box Episode 133 celebrates Christmas! Okay, so it doesn’t really. But it will put you in a good mood, particularly when you get to the Christmas block which begins with AFI’s Trash Bat and ends with the Dead Kennedy’s To Drunk to Fuck. Classic Christmas music. This will be my last episode for this year unless something special happens like I decide to throw together another episode for the new year. Perhaps not. So, for those of you who have listened this past year, I appreciate your thoughts, comments, and weird missives a few of you have sent me. I look forward to bringing you more interesting tunes from near and far as I attempt to flip the switch on what is largely unheard music. For the bands featured here, I truly appreciate your art. It gets me through my day. Finally, I thought I’d share a couple of picks from the NIN show at the Hollywood palladium from last week. Not surprisingly NIN is an entirely different band from when I first saw them in 1988 at the Whiskey-A-Go-Go. Oh, and Jesus & Mary Chain was freakin solid as well. Truly a hit machine.
Until next year…peace to all – and a joyous New Year!
Here is what you’ll find in Episode #133:
- Beach Bunny – “Prom Queen” (Prom Queen EO)
- Bearings – “Aforementioned” (Blue In The Dark)
- Basement Revolver – “Dancing” (Heavy Eyes)
- Fiddlehead – “Spousal Loss” (Springtime and Blind)
- Skeggs – “Up In The Clouds” (My Own Mess)
- BC Camplight – “Deportation Blues” (Deportation Blues)
- Jens Friebe – “Special people Club” (Fuck Penetration)
- City Kids Feel The Beat – “Worst Date” (Cheeky Heart)
- Monovine – “Throw Me A Bone” (D.Y.E.)
- Sports Bar – “Fried” (Stranger In My Head)
- Priors – “Sunshine” (New Pleasure)
- AFI – “Trash Bat” (The Missing Man EP)
- JD McPherson – “Bad Kid” (Socks)
- Dead Kennedys – “To Drunk To Fuck” (To Drunk To Fuck b/w The Prey)
- The Fleas – “Glitter Shitter” ( A Flea In Your Ear)
Went to a party I danced all night I drank sixteen beers and I started up a fight . . . Well Christmas time is the time to be good but baby, I’m a bad bad kid a stocking full of kerosene, matches, and wood ’cause baby, I’m a bad bad kid . . .