Ah…can you smell it? Episode 19 smells like spring…and … “at that moment I knew, surely and clearly, that I was witnessing perfection. [It] stood before us, suspended above the earth, free from all its laws like a work of art, and I knew, just as surely and clearly, that life is not a work of art, and that the moment could not last” (adapted from the quote in the film version of A River Runs Through It by Norman Maclean).
And that got me to thinking…what is it about music that stimulates the mind to try to identify that perfect combination of sounds that bring joy? There are certain sounds that I enjoy apart from music, and can instantly recall the sounds, smells and feelings that instantly bring back crystal clear memories of that moment of perfection – even though it is more than 40 years have lapsed. For example, I can still hear the whisper of night sounds highlighted by the call of the loon on a summer’s night while sitting with my father on Turtle Island in the middle of the Lake of the Woods when I was a child. I can still see the still water and the last rays of the sunset while a cooking fire crackled by my feet and the slow ripples of the waves not more than ten feet away gently lapped against the canoe anchored in the beach. A fish had just broken the water to snap at some insect and the loon’s call interrupted it all…
Life is full of these moments of perfection . . .we just need to spend some time reflecting on those moments, treasure them, and bear witness to them, so that others can also discover their own moments on the pathway to joy.
Perhaps these fifteen moments from Episode 19 of Tales From The Dropbox will help guide you on your own journey. Here is what you’ll find in Episode #19:
- Worriers – “Unwritten” (Imaginary Life)
- Sunset Sons – “Somewhere Maybe” (Very Rarely Say Die)
- Feelings – “On In A Million” (Be Kind, Unwind)
- Cardinal Moon – “Carousel” (Tarot)
- Cape Cub – “Keep Me In Mind” (Closer)
- Town of Saints – “No Place like This” (No Place like This)
- San Cisco – “Snow (Miura Keys Radio Mix)” (Snow EP)
- King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard – “Robot Stop” (Nonagon Infinity)
- Moberod – “Into Blue” (Ransom Notes)
- The Sky We Scrape – “White Whales” (Obsolete EP)
- Royal Headache – “Really In Love” (Royal Headache)
- The Von Rebels – “Borrowed Time” (Killing Machine)
- Tacocat – “I Hate the Weekend” (Lost Time)
- Treetop Flyers – “It’s A Shame” (Palamino)
- Jenny Woo – “Hated and Proud” (Proud of Every Scar)
About this time, a year ago, we were walking through the snow . . . give up the dream you’ve worked your whole life…this isn’t love you’re just a memory.