Now we are just Zoom-bombing along! Tales From The Drop Box Episode 155 is truly an embarrassment of musical riches. I have had some time i.e. several months to gear things up during the long cold winter and there is simply a glut of very good music being released during the time I was away. Unfortunately, for a number of musical acts, the COVID-19 pandemic is going to wipe out any commercial opportunity from the release of their music. This lack of commercial opportunity is just one of a myriad of consequences caused by the pandemic and the resultant 22 million people applying for unemployment benefits in the U.S. in just the past 30 days. As this episode of Tales From The Drop Box amply demonstrates – there is some really good music out in the world right now. I am bringing these episodes to you with the hope that you actually buy the music. Most of these acts and their labels have Bandcamp websites or stream through Spotify. If your curious, reach out and find out how you can support them to create more music.
Taking the slim silver-lining position amidst this unusual and very tragic period, can you imagine the explosion of music that is going to be released post-pandemic? However, I am a more than a little worried about the artists and bands that will not recover from the economic consequences caused by this pandemic. In essence, musicians are small businesses and they need your help. So, if you are so inclined, seek out and buy something from any one of these bands in this episode – large act or small, national, regional or local act. It doesn’t matter what stage the act is in because they all could use the cash.
Oh, turn it up and PLAY LOUD!
Here is what you’ll find in Episode 155:
- The Bombpops – “Notre Dame” (Death in Venice Beach)
- Born Ruffians – “Breathe” (Juice)
- The Lovely Eggs – “I Am Moron” (You’ve Got The Balls)
- All Time Low – “Some Kind of Disaster” (Wake Up Sunshine)
- The Decibels – “Million Ways” (Big Sounds Again)
- High Hi – “Firepool” (Firepool)
- Parsonsfield – “River Town” (Happy Hour on the Floor)
- Beach Bunny – “Ms. California” (Honeymoon)
- Chubby and The Gang – “Speed Kills” (Speed Kills)
- Part Time Killer – “Insane and Free” (The Fight)
- The Special Bombs – “Not Too Old” (Eruptions)
- No No No – “Hypocrites” (Live Fast)
- Kingswood – “Cigarettes in Bed” (Juveniles)
- Pete Yorn – For Nancy (‘Cos It Already Is)” (Musicforthemorningafter)
- Brix & The Extricated – “Wolves” (Super Blood Wolf Moon)
Like the flames to Notre Dame, nothing sacred here is safe I’ve exhausted all my prayers here on these pews . . . And when you said I could not stay with you that’s not the way you would have wanted to be convince yourself that everything is alright
Chubby and The Gang
Best song of the bunch by a mile!