I believe we are starting to build a little momentum with this show after a slow start to the year. Tales From The Drop Box Episode 107 is a nice extension to last week’s episode. There is a mix of some really new stuff missed with a touch of some tracks from last year that I somehow neglected to play when they were released. As all of them are not played on any radio station (that I know), they should sound fresh.I know that there is a temptation to find something “new” all of the time, but in our haste we truly do miss some gems that deserve to be heard. I believe this is an indirect consequence of the restricted playlists on radio. Radio playlists are designed to overplay selected tracks in the belief that you are tuning in to the station to hear those tracks. A consequence of the mindless repetition is that you become desperate to hear new music, so that anything new added sounds like a hit – not because the new song is in any manner innovative, interesting, etc. but because of that desperation for change. This is why radio stations must eventually die. People now can select their own musical choices without fear of song burnout. Just like Tales From The Dropbox, eh?
I included a real treat for you in the last block of this show with two flashbacks – a Philadelphia Grand Jury track backed up by a Dils classic.
Finally, I am compelled to write about my own personal suffering and indignation over this year’s NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament. For all of the chaos in the White House never did I anticipate that same chaos would reign in the tournament as well. I never thought a 1 seed would ever lose to a 16 seed. Virginia wrecked my brackets, so my various pool contributions became a donation. Brutal. I stopped watching the political news because I couldn’t stomach anymore Trump. Now I can’t watch basketball. I’m not sure what is left. So, I’m going to spend much more time listening to new music. Ahhhhh. .. that’s a plan! More music = more happiness.
In that spirit, drink your fill and enjoy more chaos!
Here is what you’ll find in Episode #107:
- Pearl Charles – “Sleepless Dreamer” (Sleepless Dreamer)
- Dumb – “Every Dude I Know” (Less)
- Shame – “Gold Hole” (Songs of Praise)
- Afterpartees – Ultimate Worriers” (Life Is Easy)
- Tax The Heat – “My Headspace” (Change Your Position)
- The National Parks – “Lights In The City” (Places)
- Tim & The Boys – “Life” (Growing)
- Gallery 47 – “Political Difference” (Young World)
- Graham Coxon – “Lucifer Behind Me” (The End Of The F***ing World)
- Django Django – “Marble Skies” (Marble Skies)
- Naked Cameo – “Son House” (Of Two Minds)
- Paranoid Visions – “No Paseran (Are You Getting The Picture)” (Rebellion)
- Philadelphia Grand Jury – “Going To The Casino (Tomorrow Night)” (Hope Is For The Hopeless)
- The Dils – “Class War” (Dils Dils Dils)
- Reptaliens – “29 Palms” (FM-2030)
I wanna war, between the rich and the poor I wanna fight and know what I’m fighting for . . . Going to the casino, tomorrow night what could possibly go wrong