This first episode of October is filled with tales by talented songwriters from a variety of perspectives. I think Tales From The Drop Box Episode 121 is a good reminder of the power of music to make you feel. From the vitriol of the Petrol Girls track “Strike” to the heartache and regret of San Cisco’s “When I Dream”, this episode is sure to trigger some emotion in you. I believe that the emotional connection is the point of this podcast i.e. my central mission is to provide you with a powerful emotional experience as a reaction to the music. Music trigger emotional response. That is, music should connect with you on both a physical and emotional level. I believe we’ve lost that connection because the mass produced music that permeates our daily lives no longer connects – it is soulless and just noise. I want this music to strike with clarity and leave you emotionally spent. I know that not every track will connect with you. My goal, each episode is merely one. One song that will lift you up, move you to cry, make you smile.
This is also a very good episode for headphones! Episode 121 is filled with late night music – the kind of music that you used to listen to when you were young – when you were lying in your bed with the lights off, just listening. I remember distinctly the excitement I felt as a kid when I discovered a new band or new song on the radio. In the later 70’s the best new music was actually played on radio and always late at night. From Rodney on the ROQ to John Peel, music was experienced with only the glow of the radio. A wave of pleasurable new sounds blasting through the headphones, all experienced eyes closed. So, if you have hesitated listening to this podcast because you don’t recognize any of the bands, take a chance. I think you’ll find that this is the rabbit hole you will want to explore, once a week, every week and re-discover the missing part of your life – when music meant something, connected, mattered and brought you . . . joy.
Here is what you’ll find in Episode #121:
- Massage – “Crying out Loud” (Oh Boy)
- Petrol Girls – “Strike” (The Future Is Dark EP)
- Sudakistan – “Caminos” (Swedish Cobras)
- The Trews – “The New Us” (Civilianaires)
- San Cisco – “When I Dream” (When I Dream (Single)
- Satellite Stories – “Sunglasses” (Cut Out The Lights)
- Sister Disorder – “Delayed” (Away)
- Joyce Manor – “Silly Games” (Million Dollars To Me)
- 1000 Gram – “Daydream” (By All Dreams Necessary)
- The Contestants – “It’s Not” (Twelve Of Your Earth Years)
- Damper – “Panic” (Damper EP)
- Laser Tusk – “Mother Iron” (Traveling Light)
- Blue Haze – “Bloodmagic” (Nightdive)
- The Stranglers – “Golden Brown” (La Folie)
- Slothrust – “Some Kind of Cowgirl” (The Pact)
Golden brown texture like sun lays me down with my might she runs throughout the night no need to fight . . . are you waiting to storm the winter palace, bro? picture yourself on the front page? do you want a fucking monument or are you here to make change?
Nice band -Sudakistan