I can’t tell if things are bad or good right now. I should be able to make the distinction but when you are inundated with a derecho of crap, it is sometimes difficult to figure out a clear path forward. COVID-19 cases are still increasing but at least fewer people are dying from the disease. There are a large number of people who are permanently damaged but the news hasn’t got around to discussing the cardiac damage experienced by many, even in asymptomatic individuals. I guess we are getting better at treating people, but honestly, I don’t think we should have gone through a deadly experimentation phase just to learn that the virus is fatal to a large number of people. This observation shouldn’t be surprising given the lack of empathy that exists in America. As more idiots refuse to follow some pretty basic guidelines to prevent the spread, the question is not really when you are going to contract COVID-19, but will you survive.
On the rock n’ roll front, this has been a really good summer for music. I’m still in a rounding up phase from the spring as the number of truly good releases continue to amaze me with both their musicality and energy. I think you’ll find something you like here as well. I’m not trying to make you all happy, however, I certainly try. What I do guarantee is that you are not going to find most of these bands played on your radio, so if you are tooling around seeking takeout, then perhaps give this a listen. I’ve been told that my voice is somewhere between painful and whiskey smooth so it’s always less talk and more rock.
And away we go! Here is what you will find in Tales From The Drop Box Episode 173:
- Cold Beaches – “Somebody” (Drifter)
- The Coronas – “Haunted” (True Love Waits)
- The Raging Nathans – “Big Mouth” (Oppositional Defiance)
- Savak – “The Point Of The Point” (The Point Of The Point 7”)
- The Room In The Wood – “Mars (Won’t Save Us)” (We’re The Martians, Now)
- Sleeper — “Bedhead (BBC Session John Peel 1994)” (Live At The BBC)
- The Rifles – “Fall To Sorrow (Live)” (Live At The Roundhouse)
- Taking Meds – “Somebody Particular” (The Meds You Deserve)
- The Scratches – “Sorry (Not Sorry)” (Never Better)
- Dirt Box Disco – “I Want Out” (TV Sex Show)
- Anti-Flag – “No One Can Save Yourself But You (Demo)” (VA – Isolation Songs Volume 1)
- Mondo Generator – “Dog Food” (Shooter’s Bible)
- Angel Du$t – “Big Ass Love” (Pretty Buff)
- The Replacements – “Kick Your Door Down” (Sorry Ma, Forgot to Take Out the Trash)
- Overwhelmed – “What Do You Want?” (Who Rules The World?)
Your radio is playing rather loud it don’t sound like me your attitude seems so proud that don’t bother me . . . I’m hanging around that same old scene my girlfriend Betsy she’s just fourteen there’s nothing better for me to do I’m living on dog food . . .